The fabulous Kris Carr gives us her recipe for a supremely decadent breakfast treat the vegan way, straight from her Crazy Sexy Wellness Revolution kitchen!
Morning decadence at its best – vegan-style. Simplify this recipe by skipping the Amaretto Creme and serving it with fresh berries and a bit of maple syrup. Although, if you’re a sucker for anything almond-flavoured, the crème is a must!
For The Amaretto Crème
– One cup raw cashes, soaked for a few hours to overnight in water (to soften)
– One can coconut milk (for raw version, blend 1.2 cup coconut meat with one cup coconut water)
– ½ Cup non dairy milk of choice
– ½ Cup amaretto liquor
– ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
– ¼ Cup agave
– Pinch of sea salt
For The French Toast
– ½ Cup raw almond butter or cashew butter
– One ½ cups vanilla almond milk
– ¼ Cup whole spelt flour
– Two tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
– One tablespoon cinnamon
– ¼ Cup maple syrup or date paste
– ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg powder
– ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
– Sea salt, to taste
– Whole-grain baguette or your favourite whole-grain bread
– Three tablespoons Earth Balance or any vegan butter
For The Garnish
– Fresh berries
– Toasted pecans
– Prepare Amaretto Crème: In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
– Prepare French Toast: In a medium bowl, whisk the almond butter, almond milk, flour, yeast, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt to make the batter, or blend ingredients in blender until smooth. Set aside.
– Slice the baguette or other bread in thick slices. Dip bread slices into batter. Allow each slice to sit in the batter for a minute, which helps it absorb more.
– Add ½ tablespoon vegan butter to a flat pan, flat grill, or large sauté pan on medium heat. Once melted, add battered bread slice. Add additional ½ tablespoon of vegan butter for each bread slice (It’s okay if the slices are wet with lots of batter – this is what creates the delicious crust)
– Cook on medium heat for two or three minutes. Flip with spatula, and cook other side until lightly golden.
– Serve: Drizzle amaretto crème on while French toast is still warm and top with a generous handful of fresh berries and pecans.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.