With St Patrick’s Day on Monday, Hayfield Manor Hotel in County Cork gives us a glimpse of what they will be serving up in the restaurant!
Ingredients for Ballotine
– Four ham houghs
– Two Savoy cabbage leaves
– 200g Shitake mushrooms
– 50g Chopped parsley
– One carrot, onion, celery stick and bay leave for boiling.
Ingredients for Picallili
– 100g Cauliflower florets
– 75g Spanish onion
– 50g Diced cucumber
– 100ml White wine vinegar
– 50ml Malt vinegar
– 50g Caster sugar
– One 1tsp English mustard
– One tsp tumeric
– 10g Corn flour
– Simmer ham houghs in water with 1 carrot, 1 onion, bay leaf and a stick of celery for around three hours. Remove and leave to cool.
– Slice shitake mushrooms and blanch cabbage leaves – set aside.
– Pick meat from warm ham houghs, mix with mushrooms and chopped parsley.
– Slice cabbage and mix with ham houghs, place onto a piece of cling !lm and tightly roll up into cylindrical shape and place in fridge.
Method for Picallili
– In a pan, slowly cook the onions with a knob of butter. Add cauliflower, cook until tender, then remove from the heat.
– Boil both vinegars, sugar, mustard and turmeric together. Dilute corn”our with a little water then add to vinegar mix, cook out for one minute. Add cucumber, then pour onto cauli”ower and onions and chill.
– Serve at room temperature with sliced ballotine of ham hough.
It’s is a dish that can have the wow factor to impress your guests. You need to make this a day in advance which will leave you with time on the day. My advice is plate this dish beforehand and leave at room temperature for 30-minute before eating just to get the full flavour of the ham.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.