Ingredients (serves 6-8 people):
For the filling:
– Six large cooking apples (peeled and roughly chopped)
– Vanilla sugar
– Two cans of carnation caramel
For the crumble topping:
– 150g Plain flour
– 50g Butter (at room temperature)
– 75g Soft brown sugar (you can use normal white granulated sugar if you don’t have access to brown sugar)
– Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
– Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and gently rub in the butter using your fingertips
– When it looks crumbly and the fat has been rubbed in evenly, stir in the sugar.
– In a frying pan, heat a large knob of butter until melted.
– Add your cooking apples to the pan.
– Add a good coating of vanilla sugar.
– Cook the apples until they are soft and golden in colour (you need them to be nearly the consistency of apple sauce, but chunkier).
– Pour the apple mixture into a deep ovenproof dish
– Pour over the cans of carnation caramel making sure all the apples have a good coating.
– Add the crumble mix and make sure the crumble is evenly placed all over the apples
– Add another decent sprinkling of vanilla sugar.
– Bake in the oven for approx half an hour until the crumble is golden brown and your whole house smells of vanilla!
– Leave to cool and then serve … ideally with vanilla custard!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.