Straight from Lifehouse Spa and Hotel’s Detox for Life programme, naturopath Sue Davis gives her superfood salad recipe that will leave you feeling good in your own skin…
The components of this salad all have significant health promoting properties including beetroot as an excellent liver cleanser, apple for fibre and anti-aging pectin, carrot with beta-carotene, and the walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame and pumpkin seeds delivering good amounts of omega oils, antioxidants, calcium and zinc. Garlic also features as nature’s potent antibiotic and blood thinner.
For the salad:
Mixed leaves of rocket, mizuno, frisée
Walnut halves, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds
Pea shoots and cress for garnish
For the pesto
½ Bunch fresh basil
One tbsp pine nuts
½ Clove garlic
One tsp parmesan cheese – optional
200mls Olive oil
For the hummus
200g Tinned organic chickpeas
½ Clove garlic
Juice from ¼ lemon
Sea salt and pepper
For the garlic confit
Six-eight whole cloves garlic
Few sprigs thyme
For the onion and mixed seeds crispbread
One large onion chopped
One tbsp Tamari soy sauce
One tbsp flaxseeds
One tbsp black onion seeds
One tbsp sesame seeds
Pinch sea salt
– Spiralise the beetroot and carrot making thick and thinner ‘spaghetti strands’ for texture.
– Chop apple and mix with carrot, beetroot and leaves.
– Toss through nuts and seeds.
– Garnish with pea shoots and cress.
– Blitz all ingredients for hummus and pesto put into individual small serving bowls.
– Slow roast whole garlic cloves at 130 degrees with the thyme and oil until soft –serve in small bowl.
– For the onion crisp bread liquidise the chopped onion in a blender and then add seeds, tamari soy sauce and pinch of sea salt.
– Either spread mixture very thinly on greaseproof paper and cook in very low oven for 100 degrees for approx. 20 minutes or until crisp. Alternatively, spread on teflex sheets in a dehydrator for 24 hours, turning mid-way.
– Assemble salad, separate bowls of dressings, garlic confit, shards of onion crisp bread and enjoy!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.