With its countryside setting and yet close to the city of Chester, this modern hotel offers excellent service, fine dining and plenty of leisure facilities to enjoy some relaxing down time with friends. The hotel’s spa and golf course have combined to create an Escape and Play Spa Break, but if the spa is your main priority, the swimming pool, aroma steam room and cosy relaxation room provide the perfect entrée to a soothing massage or facial.
Spa and hotel facilities
- Steam Room
- Relax Room
- Experience Showers
- Ice Room / Fountain
Enhance your experience
Here are some upgrades you can add when selecting an offer above. More can be found during checkout.
Please note that all images are for illustration purposes only.
Glass of Prosecco
Room Upgrade to Deluxe Room
Room Upgrade to a Super Deluxe Room
Why people visit here
Safe Hands for CancerAccredited by the SATCC and part of the Spabreaks.com Safe Hands for Cancer Collection, this spa welcomes people living with or beyond cancer and offers a number of specialist trained therapists.
Hen FriendlyThe hotel has the facilities and capacity to welcome groups and hen parties.
Accessible SpaThere is disabled parking near the hotel entrance, wheelchair access and lifts to both the hotel and spa including the pool and changing area. There is an accessible bedroom, and there are accessible changing rooms close to the pool, and wheelchair access to the fitness area, pool and thermal suite. However, there is no hoist into the pool.
Hotel Spa VenueThe hotel offers a range of leisure facilities including a thermal suite as well as Elemis treatments.
Macdonald Portal frequently asked questions
- Who owns Macdonald Portal Hotel?
- Macdonald Portal Hotel was part of the Macdonald Hotels and Resorts, owned by hotel industry veteran, Donald Macdonald and his family. In 2019 the hotel was sold to an unnamed investor along with other destinations within the group as part of a consolidation process.
- How do you get to Macdonald Portal Hotel?
- Located in the countryside, close to the city of Chester, Macdonald Portal Hotel is easy to get to by road, rail and air. If you're driving, it's just two miles from the A49; the closest train station is Crewe Train Station, which is 14 miles away; and Liverpool Airport and Manchester International Airport are 27 and 28 miles away, respectively.
- What is included in a Macdonald Portal Hotel spa day?
- What's included in a spa day at Macdonald Portal Hotel depends on the experience that you book. It is complete with a range of facilities including a gym, 18-metre pool, aroma steam room, infra red sauna, rock sauna, two experience showers and an ice room. They also offer treatments using Elemis and Jessica Nails products.
- What is near Macdonald Portal Hotel?
- Although Macdonald Portal Hotel is in countryside surroundings, it's also well located for accessing many of Cheshire's top attractions. The hotel is conveniently located just 20 minutes from Chester, so it’s worth taking a trip to the historic city for shopping, culture, or a great night out. You can also go on a guided tour of the city, exploring the mediaeval walkways in The Rows. Head to Chester Zoo, go to Oulton Park Circuit or go off-roading at the nearby Land Rover Experience. That's in addition to a round or two of golf at one of the hotel's three golf courses. Guests can sample some of the best of British produce at the regular country markets held in nearby Taporley. Beeston castle is a 12-minute drive from the hotel and serves as the perfect adventurous day out for families, friends and couples. The newly restored Bunbury Mill now serves as one of the UK’s finest working museums, giving us a glimpse into working life in the early 19th-century.
- What amenities does Macdonald Portal Hotel have?
- Macdonald Portal Hotel is located in extensive grounds, which include three golf courses - the 18-hole Championship and Premier Golf Courses and 9-hole Arderne course. They also offer a variety of facilities for golfers. The four-star hotel has 85 elegantly decorated rooms and suites to choose from, many with views of the grounds. The main restaurant is the Salt Brasserie, and in addition there is a Lounge Bar open throughout the day. The hotel spa and leisure facilities include a gym, 18-metre pool, aroma steam room, infra red sauna, rock sauna, two experience showers and an ice room. They also offer treatments using Elemis and Jessica Nails products.
- What are the food and drink options at Macdonald Portal Hotel?
- The main restaurant at Macdonald Portal Hotel? Is the Salt Brasserie, named in homage to the long-established rock salt industry of Cheshire. In this stylish but laid back environment, they serve a contemporary menu throughout the day, all inspired by locally sourced ingredients. In addition, the Lounge and Bar is open for drinks and light bites all day long, and they serve an excellent afternoon tea.
- How many treatment rooms are there at Macdonald Portal Hotel?
- Macdonald Portal Hotel has eight spa treatment rooms including a dual suite, where therapists use Elemis products in a range of face and body treatments. There's also a manicure and pedicure station in the reception area.
- What time is check in/check out?
- Check-in at Macdonald Portal Hotel is from 2pm, and check-out time is 11am. If you're a day spa guest, please check the details of your booking or specific spa package before arrival.
More spas nearby
We found other spas nearby that you may be interested in.