If it’s superior luxury you’re after, Rockliffe Hall has everything you could ask for, in an idyllic escape. This world-class country retreat offers five star facilities at your fingertips, from Afternoon tea in its Orangery restaurant to a game of golf on its premier golf course. At the heart of this venue is Rockliffe’s award winning spa, which is a destination in itself. The outdoor infinity pool overlooking Rockliffe’s estate sets the perfect tone for a luxurious spa treatment with exceptional service and high end skincare products.
Spa and hotel facilities
- Steam Room
- Hydrotherapy Pool
- Relax Room
- Outdoor Pool
Enhance your experience
Here are some upgrades you can add when selecting an offer above. More can be found during checkout.
Please note that all images are for illustration purposes only.
Bottle of Champagne
Bottle of Prosecco
Additional Mud Rasul
Why people visit here
Most Loved ByCouples. This historic hotel serves impeccable food, has beautiful grounds, and offers opulent facilities. Rockliffe Hall is the embodiment of understated luxury and perfect for a romantic getaway.
Wow-FactorThe setting. In 375 acres of private grounds in the Durham countryside, the grounds play a key role in how you spend your time here, from Nordic walking to golf at the hotel’s own course.
Exceptional Spa FeatureThe outdoor spa area, which has two hot pools including an infinity pool, a Jacuzzi, and lounging area surrounded by landscaped gardens and spectacular views.
Best Known ForExcellence. From the all-encompassing health spa experience to the three elegant restaurants.
Rockliffe Hall frequently asked questions
- Who owns Rockliffe Hall?
- Rockliffe Hall is owned by Middlesbrough football club owner Steve Gibson, and the club's training ground sits next door.
- How do you get to Rockliffe Hall?
- You can get to Rockliffe Hall by road, rail or even air. By car, it's just a five-minute drive from junction 75 on the A1M. Darlington train station is five minutes away by taxi. You can even fly direct to Teesside International Airport from London Heathrow. The airport is just a 10-minute drive from the resort.
- What is included in a Rockliffe Hall spa day?
- What's included in a spa day at Rockliffe Hall depends on the experience that you book. However, the spa is complete with a wide range of facilities and treatments in the 50,000 square foot spa. They include a Hydropool as well as the 20-metre leisure pool, a thermal bathing suite complete with a tepidarium, salt steam room, roman and infrared saunas, tropicarium, and an igloo. Outdoors there is a hot tub, decking and lounging areas as well as landscaped gardens. There's a dedicated spa garden available by prior arrangement as well, complete with an outdoor infinity edge pool, warmed loungers, glass fronted sauna and sumptuous daybeds.
- What is near Rockliffe Hall?
- There's much to see and do in the area around Rockliffe Hall. Head to the North Yorkshire Moors or visit the coast and have a surfing lesson in Saltburn. Explore Durham cathedral or go to the home of Dracula at Whitby, be mesmerised by High Force Waterfall or walk at Roseberry Topping.
- When was Rockliffe Hall built?
- Rockliffe Hall was built as a private property in 1863 by Arthur Backhouse, although the plans for it actually date back to 1774. It was used as a command headquarters during World War II. Over the years it's suffered damage through fire and an aeroplane crash, and has been both restored and added to. It became a hospital in 1950. In 1996 it was bought by Middlesbrough Football Club and opened as a hotel in 2010.
- What amenities does Rockliffe Hall have?
- The spa at Rockliffe Hall stands at 50,000 square foot. Facilities include a Hydropool as well as the 20-metre leisure pool, a thermal bathing suite complete with a tepidarium, salt steam room, roman and infrared saunas, tropicarium, and an igloo. Outdoors there is a hot tub, decking and lounging areas as well as landscaped gardens. There's a dedicated spa garden available by prior arrangement as well, complete with an outdoor infinity edge pool, warmed loungers, glass fronted sauna and sumptuous daybeds. In addition, there’s a gym, exercise studios, Nordic walking in the grounds, and treatments using NEOM Organics and [comfort zone] products. The estate also has its own golf course, three restaurants, a walk-in wine cellar and 375 acres of private grounds. Rockliffe Hall aims to make the hotel and spa accessible to all. Their accessibility measures include: wide parking bays within close proximity to each of the entrances to Rockliffe Hall; lowered curb access to all entrances of the hotel; the 7 DDA compliant bedrooms features extra wide doorways, lower hanging rail and higher sockets and a wide door in to the bathroom; accessible bathrooms have been designed to be a wet room environment with a support chair and grab rails in the shower, and a lowered bath; standard DDA guidelines across the hotel; wheelchair users and we have lifts to all floors, and ramp access to areas on higher and lower levels; guests with hearing impairments are provided with a vibrating pillow in case of fire evacuation as well as personal alarms; guide dogs are welcome.
- What are the food and drink options at Rockliffe Hall?
- There are three restaurants at Rockliffe Hall. The main restaurant is the Orangery, which has a walk-in wine cellar. Nu Sana offers healthy dishes and is located above the spa. Then there's the Clubhouse restaurant, which sits by the golf course offering an informal atmosphere and classic British fare.
- How many treatment rooms are there at Rockliffe Hall?
- There are 13 treatment rooms in the spa at Rockliffe Hall, in addition to a Mud Rasul for up to six people.
- What time is check in/check out?
- Check in time at Rockliffe Hall is from 3.00pm and check out time is 11.00am. If you're visiting for a spa day, please confirm your check in time when you book.
- What times does Rockliffe Hall spa close?
- The spa at Rockliffe Hall is open until 9pm most weekends and 10pm most weekdays, although these times are subject to change.
More spas nearby
We found other spas nearby that you may be interested in.