Macdonald Houstoun House
This picturesque country hotel and retreat offers a warm cosy welcome to guests who can take advantage of its proximity to Edinburgh, but just as much stay put if a spa break is the main purpose for visiting. A clay tennis court is hidden in the hotel’s walled garden and there’s a gym, swimming pool and sauna available to guests wanting a work out. Meanwhile, the sauna, steam room and relaxation area set the scene for calmness, before a luxurious Elemis treatment will totally restore you.
Spa and hotel facilities
- Steam Room
- Relax Room
Enhance your experience
Here are some upgrades you can add when selecting an offer above. More can be found during checkout.
Please note that all images are for illustration purposes only.
Glass of Prosecco
Room Upgrade to Deluxe Room
Room Upgrade to a Super Deluxe Room
Why people visit here
Leisure Break VenueThe hotel has a range of leisure facilities and treatments just a short walk from the main building and accommodation.
Scenic LocationThe hotel is surrounded by 22 acres of woodland but is still only a short distance from Edinburgh.
Local AttractionsThe hotel is just a short drive from Edinburgh where sights include Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood House, Edinburgh Quay and Edinburgh Zoo.
Safe Hands for CancerAccredited by the SATCC and part of the Spabreaks.com Safe Hands for Cancer Collection, this spa welcomes people living with or beyond cancer and offers a number of specialist trained therapists.
Macdonald Houstoun House frequently asked questions
- Who owns Macdonald Houstoun House?
- Macdonald Houstoun House is a four-star hotel in West Lothian, surrounded by 22 acres of grounds and gardens. The charismatic property is a stylish country house hotel owned by the Macdonald Hotels Group, which has destinations across the UK.
- How do you get to Macdonald Houstoun House?
- Macdonald Houstoun House is blissfully located, surrounded by 22 acres of woodland, however, it's still only a short distance from Edinburgh and is accessible by road, rail and air. If you're travelling by road, they're located close to the A89; they're just 1.2 miles from Uphall Station, from which you can catch a train directly to Edinburgh or Glasgow; and Edinburgh Airport is just 7.1 miles down the road.
- What is included in a Macdonald Houstoun House spa day?
- What's included in a spa day at Macdonald Houstoun House depends on the experience that you book. The spa is complete with a range of facilities and treatments including outdoor tennis courts, a gym, an 18-metre pool, a sauna and a steam room. They also offer spa treatments from Elemis and Jessica Nails.
- What is near Macdonald Houstoun House?
- The hotel is just a short drive from Edinburgh where sights include Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood House, Edinburgh Quay and Edinburgh Zoo, not to mention shopping as well as plenty of cafes and restaurants.
- When was Macdonald Houstoun House built?
- Macdonald Houstoun House as it is today dates back to the 16th century, with an L-plan tower house at its heart, which was begun in 1598. That said, the earliest mention of the lands of Houstoun are in 1342. Around the property you can see odes to previous owners who have all left their mark - for example, a stone niche carries the initials JS and MC with the date 1598, for John Shairp and his third wife Margaret Collace of Muirtown, as well as KK, PR and the date 1969, for the then owner Keith Knight and his wife Penelope Rudd.
- What amenities does Macdonald Houstoun House have?
- While the hotel doesn't appear to be huge, in reality it has a surprising 70 rooms and suites to stay in. The hotel is home to the popular Tower Restaurant, as well as the Vaulted Bar. There are 22 acres to explore including outdoor tennis courts, while the spa includes a gym, an 18-metre pool, a sauna and a steam room. They also offer spa treatments from Elemis and Jessica Nails. The historic property has endeavoured to incorporate disabled access wherever possible. They have accessible bedrooms are on the ground floor, there is convenient parking available, the restaurant is on the first floor but meals may be taken in the ground floor Vaulted Bar. Most of the conference facilities are accessible.
- What are the food and drink options at Macdonald Houstoun House?
- The hotel is home to the popular Tower Restaurant, appropriately located in the 16th century tower and serving traditional Scottish cuisine with a modern twist. There's also the Vaulted Bar for drinks and relaxed dining in the historic cellars.
- How many treatment rooms are there at Macdonald Houstoun House?
- The spa at Macdonald Houstoun House has three spa treatment rooms where therapists use the Elemis products in a range of face and body treatments.
- What time is check in/check out?
- Check-in at Macdonald Houstoun House is from 2pm, and check-out time is 11am. If you're a day spa guest, please check the details of your booking or specific spa package before arrival.
More spas nearby
We found other spas nearby that you may be interested in.