Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Set on the shores of Lake Windermere, the breathtaking scenery and superb facilities of this hotel set the scene for a romantic getaway with a loved one. Enjoy country walks or a stroll along the jetty for fresh air adventures, then head to the spa where the trained therapists will ease you into a state of total relaxation during your luxury massage or facial. With a thermal suite to chill out in and magnificent views to look out on, you’ll be in total bliss.
Spa and hotel facilities
- Steam Room
- Relax Room
- Experience Showers
- Ice Room / Fountain
Enhance your experience
Here are some upgrades you can add when selecting an offer above. More can be found during checkout.
Please note that all images are for illustration purposes only.
Glass of Prosecco
Room Upgrade to Deluxe Room
Room Upgrade to a Super Deluxe Room
Why people visit here
SceneryOn the edge of Lake Windermere, the hotel boasts views across the water and the gardens.
Romantic VenueWhether it's a walk in the countryside, a swim in the pool or his and hers treatments, this rural hotel is an idyllic location for a romantic mini-break.
RestaurantThe restaurant serves traditional British cuisine whilst taking in that all important lakeside view.
Hotel Spa VenueThere is an ideal balance between the traditional grandeur and comfort of this four star hotel and the light, contemporary vibe of its spa.
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa frequently asked questions
- Who owns Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is part of the Macdonald Hotels & Resorts group, which is owned by Donald Macdonald. He established the group in 1990 and has expanded it to become the UK's largest privately owned hotel group.
- How do you get to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- Accessible by road, rail and air, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is on the shores of Lake Windermere. For those travelling by car, they are just two miles off the A591, and there's plenty of parking at the hotel. If you're visiting by train, they are just two miles from Windermere station, and if you're flying in, the nearest airport is Manchester, which is 90 miles away.
- What is included in a Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- What's included in a spa day at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa depends on the experience that you book. It is complete with a range of facilities including a gym, a 20-metre pool, a relaxation room, sauna, steam room, ice room and an aromatherapy shower. There are also treatments using Elemis products.
- What is near Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- The top attraction at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, is is location right on the water at the famous Lake Windermere. A haven for nature lovers, those who enjoy hiking or water sports, there's plenty to see and do in harmony with the landscape. Also popular in the area are forest adventure courses that include high wires and zip wires, or more sedate activities, like a trip to the Beatrix Potter Museum, Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth Museum nearby.
- When was Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa built?
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is in a beautiful building, which was a private residence before becoming a hotel in 1745.
- What amenities does Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa have?
- A four-star country house hotel, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is a tranquil place to stay with its own private jetties on the edge of Lake Windermere. Enjoying views of the water, there are 106 rooms and suites including five family rooms, and a popular on site restaurant. The hotel's spa has a gym, a 20-metre pool, a relaxation room, sauna, steam room, ice room and an aromatherapy shower, as well as treatments from Elemis. The hotel's accessible facilities include a fully accessible bedroom with handrails and widened doors.
- What are the food and drink options at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa has one main restaurant, The Lakeview, with impeccable views of the water and serving British food with a twist and as much organic produce as possible. There's also a Terrace Lounge for cocktails, links and light bites.
- How many treatment rooms are there at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa?
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa has eight treatment rooms including one dual suite. Therapists use Elemis, Jessica Nails and Bare Minerals products in a range of face and body treatments.
- What time is check in/check out?
- Check-in at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is from 4pm, and check-out time is 11am. If you're a day spa guest, please check the details of your booking or specific spa package before arrival.
More spas nearby
We found other spas nearby that you may be interested in.