Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel
The treat about this lovely hotel is that although it is only a short distance from Chester, its woodland location makes it feel beautifully secluded, gifting it an air of escape. Comfort and style are at the forefront of everything on offer and that extends to the spa – a renovated area that now boasts state-of-the-art facilities and a particularly luxurious thermal suite. As well as pampering treatments, more holistic therapies such as acupuncture and Chinese cupping are also on offer.
Spa and hotel facilities
- Steam Room
- Relax Room
- Experience Showers
- Ice Room / Fountain
Enhance your experience
Here are some upgrades you can add when selecting an offer above. More can be found during checkout.
Please note that all images are for illustration purposes only.
Glass of Prosecco
Room Upgrade to Deluxe Room
Room Upgrade to a Super Deluxe Room
Why people visit here
Horse RacingCraxton Wood Hotel is only a short drive from Chester racecourse.
Local AttractionsChester Cathedral, the Roman Amphitheatre, Chester Zoo, Ness Botanical Gardens, and the Blue Planet Aquarium are easily accessible from the venue.
RestaurantThe Craxton Wood Grill serves British classics with a twist.
ShoppingChester itself is a picturesque destination brimming with boutiques.
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel frequently asked questions
- Who owns Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel?
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel is part of the nationwide Macdonald hotels group, established in 1990 and owned by Donald Macdonald. It was one of a group of hotels within the collection that was sold to an unnamed buyer in 2019.
- How do you get to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel?
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel is located in scenic Cheshire. It is just two miles from M56, seven miles from Chester Station and 34 miles from Manchester Airport.
- What is included in a Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel spa day?
- What's included in a spa day at Macdonald Frimley Hall depends on the experience that you book. However, the spa is complete with a range of facilities and treatments. There is a state of the art thermal suite which includes experience showers, a sauna, a steam room, 11 luxury treatment rooms and a gym. Treatments use the Elemis and Jessica product lines.
- What is near Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel?
- While Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel gives the impression of being peacefully located a million miles from anywhere, it's surrounded by popular attractions. It's just a short drive from Chester racecourse, Chester Cathedral, the Roman Amphitheatre, Chester Zoo, Ness Botanical Gardens, and the Blue Planet Aquarium.
- When was Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel built?
- A traditional country house turned hotel, Macdonald Craxton Wood was originally built in 1890, but has had a number of modern additions made over the years.
- What amenities does Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel have?
- Set within 27 acres of Cheshire woodland, Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel has 72 rooms and suites including family rooms, each offering contemporary style and hospitality. Views are across the gardens, and there is an onsite restaurant - the Craxton Wood Grill as well as a coffee bar and a dedicated spa cafe. The spa was renovated in recent years, and now has state of the art thermal suite which includes experience showers, a sauna, a steam room, 11 luxury treatment rooms and a gym. The hotel welcomes all guests and has three accessible bedrooms, one of which has a walk in shower while the other two have a shower over the bath and the bathtubs have a lowered side. The bathrooms also have handrails and emergency alarm cords. The leisure club has full access for disabled participants, however they do not have a hoist for the pool. They do have access to the pool down gradual steps with a full hand rail.
- What are the food and drink options at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel?
- The Craxton Wood Grill, which serves British classics with a twist, is the main restaurant at the hotel. There is also a coffee bar and a dedicated spa cafe where you can have food and drink in your robe and slippers.
- How many treatment rooms are there at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel?
- The spa at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel has 11 spa treatment rooms where therapists use the Elemis and Jessica Nails products in a range of face and body treatments.
- What time is check in/check out?
- Check-in at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel is from 3pm, and check-out time is 11am. If you're a day spa guest, please check the details of your booking or specific spa package before arrival.
More spas nearby
We found other spas nearby that you may be interested in.